Sharing the Gospel is the most important thing you can do for your kids, but perhaps the second most important thing … is teaching them how to handle money wisely. We’ll talk about that with Art Rainer today.
Art Rainer is the author of several books on personal finance, including a few on teaching kids about money.
- We recently talked about Ranier’s 3-volume series The Secret Slide Money Club, which has very entertaining and educational stories for younger kids, teaching them how to handle money from a biblical perspective.
- On this episode, Art Ranier explains why it is so important to teach kids financial stewardship and understanding God’s ownership.
- He says it’s never too early to start teaching your kids and grandkids, beginning with very simple concepts and working your way up to more complex principles as your kids get older and are able to grasp more advanced lessons.
- Rainer and Rob West explain the value of the “jar approach”: One jar devoted to money to live, one to save, and one for giving.
- They also discuss whether parents should pay their kids for completing household chores or for completing extra tasks.
- Additionally, Rainier explains the vital importance of teaching kids the biblical concept of generosity and how to convey the principle.
- They also talk about preparing kids financially for heading off to college, when they’re likely to be tempted to pile up credit cards and other debt.
- Art Rainer's 3-book series for kids called The Secret Slide Money Club.
- And you can learn more about Art at ArtRanier.com.
On this program, Rob also answers listener questions:
- How do you go about creating a spending plan?
- Can you repay Social Security benefits to expand benefits down the road?
Remember, you can call in to ask your questions most days at (800) 525-7000 or email them to Questions@MoneyWise.org. Also, visit our website at MoneyWise.org where you can connect with a MoneyWise Coach, join the MoneyWise Community, and even download the free MoneyWise app.